Local Activities & Places of Interest
There are just so many local activities to choose from depending on the time of year you visit, the age group or of course just how much you want to do (or not!)
Explore the Norfolk Broads at your own leisurely pace in a self drive day boat. No experience is necessary, full instruction will be given before you take the boat and of course everyone on board will be given a life jacket.
Norfolk Boat Hire, Horning NR12 8PU – Al 01692 630707
Just a 5 minute walk from the Houseboats, offering a selection of day boats & picnic boats which are ideal for exploring the Broads.
Also available from Norfolk Boat Hire – Canoes, Rowing Boats & Cycle Hire
Wayford Marine Dayboats, Wayford NR12 9LL – Mark 01692 583192 or 07776 254917
Based at Wayford on the River Ant, just off the main A149 and approximately 15 minutes by car from Horning, Mark at Wayford Marine offers a choice of four different boats, with the largest ‘Jumbo’ seating up to 12 people. The day boats are fitted with either a fold down canopy, or a sliding sunroof so that you can enjoy the sunshine as you travel along the rivers and experience the charm of the Norfolk Broads. Pet friendly.
Wayford is a great place to start your Norfolk Broads adventure with plenty of places to stop for a picnic, bar-b-que or a pub lunch. Free car parking & pet friendly!
Go Paddle – SUP Stand Up Paddleboarding Adventures & Lessons,Horning NR12 8PT – 01603 339105
Fully certified by BSUPA (British Stand Up Paddle Association), fully insured and fully loaded on fun and adventure. Lessons, tours, events, parties, and regular sessions.
Come and get ready to ride with a paddleboard taster session. SUP, as it’s sometimes referred to – is now the worlds fastest growing watersport!!
Only the best for Go Paddle – all of our Red Paddle Co kit is available for hire from 1 day to a full week. We can bring them to you.
Broadland Cycle Hire, Horning NR12 8JW – 07747 483 154
Broadland Cycle Hire has been providing cycle hire services around the Broads for over 20 years and have extensive experience to help you enjoy the wonderful scenery of the Broads National Park. A selection of hybrid and mountain style bikes as well as tandems, children’s cycles, baby seats, and tagalongs – helmets, baskets, locks, pumps and puncture repair kits are all available on request. A FREE delivery service is available to local B&Bs and cottages within a 10 mile radius of our main centre in Horning, for bookings of three days or more.
Barton House Railway, Wroxham – 01603 782008
BeWILDerwood, Horning – 01692 633033
Bure Valley Railway, Wroxham – 01603 733 858
Caister Castle & Car Museum, Caister – 01664 567707
Fairhaven Woodland & Water Garden, South Walsham – 01603 270049
Horsey Windpump, Horsey Mere (National Trust)
Norfolk Wildlife Trust, Hickling – 01692 598276
Norwich Cathedral – 01603 218300 Currently home to Dippy the Dinousaur from the Natural History Museum in London
Norwich Castle – 01603 493625
RAF Radar Museum, Neatishead – 01692 631485
Ross’ Wildlife Boat Trips, Horsey – 07791 526440
Roys of Wroxham – said to be the largest village store in the world!
Southern Comfort River Trips, Horning – 01692 630262
Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens, Thrigby – 01493 369477
Tide & Time Museum, Great Yarmouth – 01493 743930
Wroxham Barns, Wroxham – 01603 783762
- Sea Palling, lovely sandy beach with rock pools, cafes, arcades, toilets & limited parking – about 25 minutes from Horning
- Winterton, very natural beach, toilets & parking – about 25 minutes from Horning. This is where you can see the Seals during the summer!
- Great Yarmouth, wide sandy beaches, golden mile with lots of attractions. Parking by meter – about 30 minutes from Horning
• The Club House Café, Ferry Road 01692 631111 – eat in / out or take away
• Golden City Chinese, Lower Street 01692 630091 – take away only
• Staithe & Willow Restaurant, Lower Street 01692 630915 – eat in / out or take away
• The Galley, Lower Street 01692 630088 – small cafe/deli, take away picnic style food
• Country Treats Café 01692 631400 – take away only
• Swan Inn, Ferry Inn & New Inn – eat in / out
• Royal Indian 10 Norwich Road, NR12 8RX 01603 784484 – take away
• Kens Fish & Chips, The Bridge, Norwich Road, NR12 8DA 01603 783739 – eat in / out or take away
• Greys Traditional Fish & Chips, Norwich Road, NR12 8DA 01603 782427 – eat in / out or take away
• The Golden Fish, The Bridge, Norwich Road, NR12 8DA – Chinese & fish and chips – take away only 01603 783361
• Kebab Hut, The Bridge, Norwich Road, NR12 8DA 01603 784785 – also Pizza & friend chicken – take away only
• Hotel Wroxham, The Bridge, NR12 8AJ 01603 782601 – eat in / out, riverside terrace & also restaurant service
Coltishall Lovely to visit by day boat
• The Rising Sun, 28 Wroxham Road, NR12 7EA 01603 737440 – eat in / out or take away
• The Recruiting Sergeant, Norwich Road, NR12 7EE 01603 737077 – eat in / out or take away
• A Piece Of Cake Café, Church Close, NR12 7DL – eat in / out or take away
• Landamores Fish & Chips, 4 High Street, NR12 7DH 01603 737377 – take away only (eat on village green picnic style by river)
- Filby Bridge Restaurant – about 25 minutes from Horning – overlooking Filby Broad – A la Carte Menu – 01493 368142 – NR29 3AA
- Kings Arms P.H – about 25 minutes from Horning – Fine Dining – 01493 368333 NR29 3AG
- The Boathouse – about 30 minutes from Horning – overlooking Ormesby Broad – 01493 730342 NR29 3LP